Friday, May 7, 2010

Like a Cyclops, but in reverse!

Tyrone, my sister's tiny white poodle, was sniffing me today, and I had a sudden realization. Dogs can see into the past. This is incredible! My brother could come home and I'd say, "Where have you been? Who have you been with?" But a dog can tell who I have been with, so long as he's met them before, and, who knows, maybe he can tell something about them only by their smell. "You've been with children all day," says Tyrone, "I can smell middle school BO and remnants of Axe body spray."

Why, oh why do the stupid little boys wear axe body spray at school? I think I'd rather them stink of sweat than Axe; good gravy its awful.

But, yes, no other senses can tell us so directly where we have been. I cannot look at you and see the past three hours of your life, nor can I hear it, unless you tell me. There are no echoes of your activities, nor shadows from the days events, nor impressions upon your skin which I can feel, but if I could smell well enough, I'd know so much more with just a whiff.

Truly, animals are amazing, being able to see into the past as they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment