Tuesday, May 25, 2010

wheeeewwwww...wow,slow going. But okay Oraphan Fans, got 3 pages written today so far. I wonder how much 'good' writers get written every day. Just those 3 probably took me 3 hours, golly. I wonder how many Steven King puts out...he does something like a thousand page book every two weeks, right? Oh, but wait, its because he has stock characters with absolutely no depth or realism to them. This is how I keep myself going..."You're a better writer than Steven King..."

I haven't read "The Name of the Wind", but I am impressed with its scale. How did a first time writer get a book so big published? I read the first chapter or so, and I wasn't thrilled by it, but maybe that's because I don't like the whole well trod 'high fantasy' setting. Tolkien's high fantasy wasn't nearly so...high. Most of the time its like reading video-game scripts with these things. I pick them up and think "I ought to be able to write better than you, but I'm just not sure...maybe my writing is bad, too..." Then I think, "No, it can't be that bad...because at least I don't start out every-single-fantasy-novel with a bunch of guys riding through lonely hills with red glowing eyes." You see, red glowing eyes means you're bad...even if you're the 'good guy', you'll be a bad boy. I think one day I'll write a story with a guy with stoplights for eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment